Kind Of Like A Local Newspaper, And Its Always Free To Read!

Events, Offers, News & More

Random Fact Of The Week

assembly rooms aberystwythDid you know…….

The Assembly Rooms in Laura Place was the original home of the National Library of Wales.

In its lifetime it has also been home to the Aberystwyth University Students Union,although this is now based on Penglais Campus.

The National Library first opened its doors in 1909 on the 1st of January at the Assembly Rooms, whilst work was completed on its current home on Penglais Hill.

This first section of the libraries’ current home was opened in 1916, and once the library had left its temporary home in Laura Place the building remained practically vacant.

However 3 years later in 1919 work was begun on converting the Assembly Rooms into the Students Union.

The building was donated by the Old Students’ Association and was officially opened on 30th October 1923 by H.R.H. Edward.

Another interesting fact, in order to mark this prestigious event, the University of Aberystwyth unveiled the only public statue of Prince Edward in Britain.

The Assembly Rooms is now used by the Music Department, and also as a computer room for students.

Leave a Reply

Follow Us

Free Daily Newspaper

Click here for our free local online newspaper published daily at 3pm

Newsletter Sign Up